Things You Should Know Before Teaching In Thailand

If you are planning to travel the world with the help of you university degree then you may start with Thailand and see what the country has to offer. Though many other countries in the nation are looking for English teachers, Thailand is the best place to start if you are looking for something out of the norm. The process is not as straightforward and might be a little tedious at first but here are some things you should know.

  • TEFL or CELTA. Many who are applying in Thailand are asking this same question every time. These certificates are now considered a requirement side from having a degree from a university. If you are planning to work officially in Thailand and obtain a teacher’s license then you must have either of the two – TEFL or CELTA. After getting a license, you will be able to apply for a work permit. Salary is higher to those who possess these certificates compared to those who don’t.
  • It is important to get a visa when working in Thailand so you can have peace of mind and be able to work knowing you are legally in the country. The process of applying a visa might be complicated but it pays off in the long run. If you are applying for a job, it is important that the school will be the one to process the visa for you.
  • Once requested for an interview, make sure to ask all the important questions. All things are negotiable including your salary and the benefits that come with it. Make sure that the institution will be the one to process all the requirements you need to stay in Thailand including teacher’s license, visa and work permit.
  • For a foreigner, housing charges are more than what Thais are paying and sometimes double the amount. This why it is important to take a lot of time searching for your place and check various locations before deciding.

If you are looking for a school to start teaching English in Thailand, start with an international school. Your second option is to look for a bilingual school or more languages taught. Your third option is to go for a government owned school and the last would be to work for a private English service institute.


Comments are disabled